For more than 30 years, Thursday night jam sessions at the Offshore Lounge served as the first stage for some of zydeco’s most top stars -- Geno Delafose, Zydeco Force, Beau Jocque, Same Ol’ Two Step and many others. The festival is a fundraiser for the rustic dancehall, which is in need of major repairs.
Admission is $20. Red beans and rice with fried chicken, barbecue and gumbo will be sold. T-shirts and tribute CDs featuring the late zydeco legend Roy Carrier, the lounge’s former owner, will be available.
In other St. Landry Parish events:
- Keith Frank and the Soileau Zydeco Band entertain at the Sixth Annual Mayor’s New Year’s Charity Gala at 8 p.m. Friday, Dec. 30 at the Opelousas Civic Center, exit 18 on I-49. The event includes a candlelight dinner, midnight champagne toast and “Dancing with the Starz-Acadiana Style” contest. Funds from this gala help the elderly and needy of St. Landry Parish with emergency assistance. Tickets are $30. (337) 948-2525.
- Leon Chavis and the Zydeco Flames kick off a weekend of live music at Evangeline Downs Racetrack and Casino, I-49 exit 18 in Opelousas. Admission is free for the 9 p.m. Dec. 30 dance with Chavis. Turning Point, a Southern rock and country band, performs for New Year’s Eve at Mojo’s in the casino. Chris Ardoin and NuStep Zydeco play at 8:30 p.m. Jan. 1 at Mojo’s. (337) 594-3000, www.evangelinedowns.com.
- The weekly Saturday morning Cajun jam sessions will be held from 9 a.m. to noon Dec. 31 at Savoy Music Center, located on Highway 190 just east of Eunice. Admission is free and all musicians are invited to join in. (337) 457-9563, www.savoymusiccenter.com.
- Because of the holiday break, there will be no Rendez-Vous des Cajuns radio and TV show Saturday, Dec. 31 at the Liberty Theater in Eunice. The weekly program, which features Cajun and Creole musicians in a Grand Ole Opry, Prairie Home Companion format, resumes Jan. 7, 2012. (337) 457-7389, www.eunice-la.com.
- Grammy winner Chubby Carrier hosts Chubby’s New Year’s Eve Party at 9 p.m. Dec. 31 at Slim’s Y-Ki-Ki. Tickets, which are $25 in advance and $30 at the door, include gumbo with all the fixings and champagne at midnight. (337) 288-8893, www.chubbycarrier.com.
- The rock band One Trick Pony brings in 2012 at 8 p.m. Dec. 31 at Beau’s Garage, 125 N. Court St., in Opelousas. Tickets are $10, $15 at the door. (337) 678-0648.
- The monthly JAMbalaya acoustic music jam will be held from 1-3 p.m. Jan. 1 at Tom’s Fiddle & Bow, 204 Fuselier St., in Arnaudville. Bring your favorite for a pot luck lunch. Coffee, tea, wine, soda and water will be provided. (337) 754-5528.
- J. Paul and the Zydeco Nubreedz perform at 8 p.m. Jan. 1 at Stallions Bar-B-Que and Seafood, 5675 I-49 S. Service Road, in Opelousas. (337) 948-2090.
In upcoming events, Chubby Carrier and Cajun/country music veteran Jo-El Sonnier team up for Zyde-Cajun Night at 8 p.m. Jan. 6 at the Delta Grand, 120 S. Market St., in downtown Opelousas.. Tickets are $10 in advance, $12 at the door.