St. Landry Parish offer chances to celebrate the arrival of October with 10, live music events during the first weekend of the month. Many events offer free admission and all show why St. Landry Parish is the home of zydeco music and a hotbed of Cajun music.
Give your dancing shoes a workout with these events:
· Grammy winner Chubby Carrier and the Bayou Swamp Band entertain at 6 p.m. Friday, Sept. 30 at the free Music & Market concert series at the Farmers M arket Pavilion, just off I-49 exit 19B in Opelousas. Local farmers will sell and offer samples of eggplant, the featured vegetable of the week. www.cityofopelousas.com .
|Zydeco Festival in Plaisance|
· Country singer Jaryd Lane and zydeco star Geno Delafose perform a free show from 9 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. Friday in the Events Center at Evangeline Downs Racetrack & Casinos. All guests with a free Player’s Card will receive $5 in Free Play on the casino floor. www.evangelinedowns.com .
· Zydeco favorites Same Ol’ Two Step play a free dance at 9 p.m. Friday in Mojo’s Sports Bar in Evangeline Downs.
· Bring an instrument or just tap your toes at the free Savoy Music Jam Session from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday, Oct. 1 at the Savoy Music Center, 4413 Hwy 190, in Eunice. These world-famous Cajun jams have been taking place every Saturday morning since 1966. (337) 457-9563.
· The 29th annual Original Southwest Louisiana Zydeco Music Festival kicks off at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at Zydeco Park in Plaisance. Tropical Storm Lee postponed the festival from its Sept. 3 date. Chubby Carrier opens the fest, followed by Nathan and the Zydeco Cha Chas, Geno Delafose, J.J. Caillier, Lil Nathan, J. Paul, Step Rideau and Corey Ledet. Tickets, $15. www.zydeco.org.
|Wilson Savoy of the Pine Leaf Boys|
· Get up close and personal with Cajun musicians performing at 3 p.m. every Saturday at the Jean Lafitte Prairie Acadian Culture Center, 250 W. Park Ave., in Eunice. (337) 457-8499.
· The Pine Leaf Boys, four-time Grammy nominees, play the entire 90-minute show of the Rendez-Vous des Cajuns radio and TV show at 6 p.m. Saturday at the Liberty Theater in downtown Eunice. Admission, $5. www.eunice-la.com .
· Zydeco icons Keith Frank and Chris Ardoin headline the First Annual Nu Step Trail Ride Saturday night at the IFBS Lodge, 6240 Highway 31, near Leonville. The ride leaves at 11 a.m. Sunday and returns in the afternoon for music by Brian Jack, Chris Ardoin and special guest Leah. $10 per night, $20 weekend pass. (337) 371-5502.
· Cajun and Creole music, old time, honky tonk, cowboy music and more are part of the free monthly jam session from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Oct. 2 Tom’s Fiddles, 204 Fuselier Road, in Arnaudville. Jammers bring food and ice tea to serve. www.tomsfiddleandbow.com
While you’re in the area, check out the J. S. Clark School Reunion Exhibit at the Opelousas Museum and Interpretive Center, Farmer’s Markets in Eunice and Opelousas, antiques at the Sunset Market and Auction House and more. For more information on all these events, call the St. Landry Parish Tourist Commission at (337) 948-8004 or visit www.cajuntravel.com.