Zydeco musician Geno Delafose is the featured performer at the annual Juneteenth Folklife Celebration from 1 p.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday, June 16 at the Farmer’s Market, just off I-49 exit 19B, in Opelousas. The event pays tributes to the day Texas slaves first heard news of freedom.
The cultural and historical celebration also highlights folk art and other traditions of the region. Admission is free. For more information, call (337) 945-5064.
In other parish events:
- Leon Chavis and the Zydeco Flames play at 10 p.m. Friday, June 15 at Miller’s Zydeco Hall of Fame, 11154 Highway 190, in Lawtell. Built in 1947 as Richard’s Club, the Hall of Fame is the area’s oldest zydeco dancehall. (337) 319-0639.
- Four zydeco bands highlight a parking lot fundraiser June 15-17 at Sacred Heart Church, 3651 Highway 104, in Prairie Ronde. Leon Chavis entertains at 6 p.m. Friday; followed by Lil Wayne and Same Ol’ Two Step at 8 p.m. Koray Broussard plays at 6 p.m. Saturday before Curley Taylor performs at 9 p.m. The event also includes games, fun jumps, garage sale, live auction and a barbecue cook-off on Saturday. (337) 308-6409.
- Brandon Moreau and CajunGrass are the featured band at the Rendezvous des Cajuns radio and TV show at 6 p.m. Saturday, June 16 at the Liberty Theater in downtown Eunice. This weekly program features Cajun bands in a Grand Ole Opry atmosphere. (337) 457-7389, www.eunice-la.com.
- Brandon Moreau and CajunGrass also play the Old-Fashioned Barn Dance at 8 p.m. Saturday, June 16 at Lakeview Park & Beach, 1717 Veteran Memorial Highway, in Eunice. A Father’s Day Fishing Tournament will be held Friday and Saturday. (337) 457-2881, www.lvpark.com.
- Lil Wayne and Same Ol’ Two Step play a tropical wedding party at 9 p.m. Saturday Slim’s Y-Ki-Ki, 8471 Highway 182, in Opelousas. The Gradney family has operated this legendary zydeco dancehall since 1949. (337) 942-6242.
- Songwriter Mike McDonald, performance poet Bonny McDonald and musician Scott Stephenson perform as Workin’ Man and the Retirees at 7 p.m. Thursday, June 21 at Casa Azul, 232 ML King Dr., in Grand Coteau. Admission is free. (337) 662-1032.
In upcoming events, musician Geno Delafose and equine businessman Don Stemmans will be the honorees at the second annual Horses and Harmony at 6 p.m. Thursday, June 28 at the Evangeline Downs Event Center in Opelousas. Advance tickets are $25 with some proceeds going to the Opelousas-St. Landry Chamber of Commerce scholarship program. For more information, call (337) 942-2683.
R&B legend Percy Sledge performs at June 30 at Evangeline Downs Racetrack and Casino in Opelousas. For more information, call (337) 594-3000 or visit www.evangelinedowns.com.