Geno Delafose and French Rockin’ Boogie, along with Lil Wayne and Same Ol’ Two Step, perform for the Fan Appreciation Party at 9 p.m. Saturday, July 28 at Miller’s Zydeco Hall of Fame, 11154 Hwy 190, in Lawtell. Admission is free.
Built in 1947 as Richard’s Club, the Hall of Fame is the area’s oldest zydeco dancehall. Grammy winners Clifton Chenier, Rockin’ Sidney, Terrance Simien and Chubby Carrier all began their careers at the club.
Last May, new owners Dustin and Nichole Miller re-opened the music landmark, which had closed in 2011 after its previous owner passed away. For more information, call (337) 319-0639.
In other St. Landry Parish events:· Pauline Edmond and poet Jay Udall are part of the Grand Coteau Voices series at 7 p.m. Thursday, July 26 at Casa Azul, 232 ML King Drive, in Grand Coteau. (337) 662-1032, casaazul.homestead.com.
· The Eunice Players Theatre opens its production of “Camelot” at 7 p.m. July 26-28 at the theater, 121 S. Second St., in Eunice. The production resumes July 31 and continues through Aug. 4. (337) 457-2156, (337) 546-0163, www.euniceplayers.blogspot.com.
· Jake Stephens plays on the beach from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. Saturday, July 28 at Lakeview Park & Beach, 1717 Veteran Memorial Highway, in Eunice. (337) 457-2881, www.lvpark.com.
· The D. S. Shine Young Memorial Futurity is set for Saturday, July 28 at Evangeline Downs Racetrack and Casino, near I-49 exit 18, in Opelousas. Top horses compete for the $100,000 purse. Races start at 5:40 p.m. (337) 594-3000, www.evangelinedowns.com.
· Jackie Caillier, Ivy Dugas and the Cajun Cousins entertain at the Rendez-Vous des Cajuns radio and TV show at 6 p.m. Saturday, July 28 at the Liberty Theater in downtown Eunice. This live, family-oriented show features Cajun, zydeco and swamp pop bands performing in an historic 1924 vaudeville house. Show is broadcasted live on the radio with an emcee. (337) 457-7389, www.eunice-la.com.
· Singer/songwriters Barry Hebert and Steve Judice perform from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. Sunday, July 29 at NUNU Arts and Cultural Collective, 1510 Hwy 93 in Arnaudville. An original member of the Grammy-nominated Basin Brothers Cajun Band, Hebert recently released his first solo CD, “Worn Wooden Floors.” Judice released his “When Darkness Falls” CD last year. (337) 453-3307, www.nunucollective.org.
· Creator’s Canvas – Cancer Research Foundation, art work by Theresa Stelly, debuts Wednesday, Aug. 1 at the Opelousas Museum & Interpretive Center, 315 N. Main St., in Opelousas. (337) 948-2589, email@example.com.
In upcoming events, Tommy Myers is the featured artist for the season finale of First Fridays with a Little Lagniappe from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. Friday, Aug. 3 at the St. Landry Parish Visitor Information Center, I-49 exit 23, just north of Opelousas. A mixed media artist and woodworker, Myers creates birdhouses from found objects. For more information, call (337) 948-8004 or visit www.cajuntravel.com.