Brian Jack and the Zydeco Gamblers hit the stage at Miller's Zydeco Hall of Fame tonight at 10PM
Lots of Music this Weekend in St.Landry Parish
It’s definitely a music weekend here in St. Landry Parish. As we count the days to the 30th Annual Original Southwest LA Zydeco Music Festival, we have two great dances at two of the oldest zydeco clubs in the world! Friday August 17, Brian Jack and the Zydeco Gamblers will perform at Miller’s Zydeco Hall of Fame, 11154 Hwy 190, west of Opelousas in Lawtell, starting at 10pm. Then on Sunday August 19 Lil Nathan & the Zydeco Big Timers will make the floor bounce at Slim’s Y-Ki-Ki in Opelousas from 8pm-Midnight.
And Saturday the 18th Chris Miller and Bayou Roots with special guest Milton Vanicor will entertain at the Rendez-Vous des Cajuns radio and TV show at 6 p.m. at the Liberty Theater in Eunice www.eunice-la.com. Lots of Cajun music fans are in the area for the annual Cajun French Music Association Le Cajun Music Awards, so be sure to complete your CFMA weekend with a visit to the CFMA Museum & Hall of Fame located in downtown Eunice.
More St. Landry Parish events:
• Live thoroughbred horse racing continues at Evangeline Downs Racetrack and Casino. Wednesdays through Saturdays at 5:40 p.m. 2235 Creswell Lane Exit in Opelousas. Free for all ages. (337) 594-3000, www.evangelinedowns.com.
• Cajuns For Bayou Teche will be doing a bayou cleanup Saturday, August from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. starting at the Arnaudville boat launch. All volunteers are welcome and please bring any motor boats, canoes, and kayaks you have access or just bring yourself. Tour du Teche III is fast approaching so let’s get the Bayou looking good!
• Farmers markets are still going even in the heat of summer. New vendor, Glenn Beard, will be bringing farm fresh eggs, assorted jellies, muscadine, and purple hull peas this weekend at Washington Community Farmer’s Market, held from 8:30 a.m. to 11 a.m. each Saturday at the Pavilion across from Town Hall in Washington. The Eunice Farmer’s Market, held at the corner of 2nd Street and Park Ave., has changed its time until cooler weather. New start times are Wednesdays at 1pm and Saturdays at 8am (337) 457-6503. The Opelousas Farmer’s Market is held from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday at 838 East Landry Street in Opelousas (337) 948-0561. Vendors at all three markets offer produce, plants, craft items, homemade good and more.
• Share French conversations at La Table Francaise, held at 9 a.m. Saturday, August 18 at Café Mosaic, 202 South 2nd Street in Eunice. (337) 546-6276.
• The weekly Cajun jam sessions will be held from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday, August 18, at Savoy Music Center, located on Highway 190 just east of Eunice. Admission is free. (337) 457-9563, www.savoymusiccenter.com.
• “Becoming Louisiana: The Path to Statehood” an exhibit commemorating this year’s Bicentennial, opens this weekend through September at the Jean Lafitte Acadian Cultural Center in Eunice. And don’t forget about the weekly music program and foodways demonstration held each Saturday. The music program begins at 3 p.m. and the foodways demonstration begins at 4 p.m. (337) 457-8499, www.nps.gov/jela.
• The 30th Annual Original Southwest Louisiana Zydeco King and Queen Ball at 8 p.m. Saturday, August 18 at Opelousas Delta Grand Theater, 120 South Market Street, in Opelousas. (337) 942-2392, www.zydeco.org.
For more information on parish events, call the St. Landry Parish Tourist Commission at (337)948-8004 or visit www.cajuntravel.com. Updates are posted on Facebook at St. Landry Parish – It’s Gumbo for Your Soul and Twitter@StLandryParish. Videos are online at www.youtube.com/StLandryParish.