Country music star Mark Chesnutt and the 26th annual Zydeco Extravaganza headline a weekend of music at Evangeline Downs Racetrack & Casino, I-49 exit 18, in Opelousas.
Chesnutt performs one show at 9 p.m. Friday, May 25 in the casino’s Event Center. Zydeco Extravaganza features an indoor and outdoor stage with 12 hours of music beginning at noon Sunday, May 27.
Chesnutt has had more than 30 singles on the Billboard Hot Country Songs chart, including eight No. 1 singles. His hits include “Too Cold at Home,” “I Just Wanted You to Know,” “I Don’t Want to Miss a Thing” and “She Was.”
Buckwheat Zydeco, the Grammy- and Emmy-winning band from Carencro, perform at the Extravaganza, along with Keith Frank, Chris Ardoin, Cupid, Geno Delafose, Leon Chavis, Brian Jack, Same Ol’ Two Step and many more.
For more information on these events, call (337) 594-3000 or visit www.zydecoextra.com.
In other events:
- Goldman Thibodeaux and the Lawtell Playboys play Creole music and old-time zydeco for the season finale of the free Music & Market series at 6 p.m. Friday, May 25 at the Farmer’s Market Pavilion, near I-49 exit 19B, in Opelousas. Squash, the featured vegetable, will be available for sale and samples. (337) 948-6263, www.cityofopelousas.com.
- The Washington Community Farmer’s Market is held from 8:30 to 11 a.m. each Saturday at the Pavilion across from Town Hall in Washington. Vendors will offer produce, plants, craft items, homemade good and more.
- · The weekly Saturday morning Cajun jam sessions will be held from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday at Savoy Music Center, located on Highway 190 just east of Eunice. Admission is free. (337) 457-9563, www.savoymusiccenter.com
- · Geno Delafose, Paul Daigle and Damon Troy are among the entertainers set for the first Krotz Springs Sportmen’s Heritage Festival May 25-27 at Nall Park, 562 Front St., in Krotz Springs. The event includes carnival rides, car raffle and more. A complete schedule is available at www.stanthonykrotzsprings.org. (337) 566-3527.
- · The Vidrine-Chapman Family Band, featuring Jane and John Vidrine and Eric Chapman, play the Rendezvous des Cajuns radio and TV show at 6 p.m. Saturday, May 25 the Liberty Theater in downtown Eunice. Kenneth Benoit and the Gravel Road also perform in this Grand Ole Opry-style show. (337) 457-7389, www.eunice-la.com.
- · Kevin Naquin and the Ossun Playboys perform at the Old-Fashioned Fais-do-do Barn Dance at 8 p.m. Saturday, May 26 at Lakeview Park & Beach, 1717 Veteran Memorial Highway, in Eunice. Roscoe Chenier and the Inner City Blues Band entertain at 5 p.m. Sunday on the beach. (337) 457-2881, www.lvpark.com.
- · Lil Nate and the Zydeco Big Timers and J. Paul and the Zydeco Nubreedz play at 9:30 p.m. Sunday, May 27 at Stallions Bar-B-Que and Seafood, 5675 I-49 S. Service Road, in Opelousas. (337) 948-2090.
- · Chris Ardoin and NuStep Zydeco host a Zydeco Extravaganza After-Party at 10 p.m. Sunday, May 27 at the Opelousas Civic Center, I-49 exit 18. (337) 948-2525.
In upcoming events, the 8th Annual Opelousas Spice and Music Festival takes place June 1-2 at South City Park in Opelousas. Find a complete schedule at www.opelousasspiceandmusicfestival.com.
For more information on parish events, call the St. Landry Parish Tourist Commission at (337) 948-8004 or visit www.cajuntravel.com. Updates are posted on Facebook at St. Landry Parish – It’s Gumbo for Your Soul and Twitter @StLandryParish. Videos are online at www.youtube.com/StLandryParish.