|Miller's Zydeco Hall of Fame|
Built in 1947 as Richard’s Club, the Hall of Fame has launched the careers of dozens of zydeco musicians. B. B. King, John Lee Hooker and other blues and early R&B stars played the club on their tours between New Orleans and Houston.
New owners Dustin and Nichole Miller are reviving the classic, wooden roadhouse, which has been featured on NPR, CBS News and other media outlets. Brian Jack and the Zydeco Gamblers kick off the grand opening Friday, May 11. Leon Chavis and the Zydeco Flames entertain Saturday, May 12, along with Lil Nate and the Zydeco Big Timers. J. Paul and the Zydeco Nubreedz play Sunday, May 13.
All dances begin at 9:30 p.m. For more information, visit The Zydeco Hall of Fame on Facebook.
In other events:
- Local attractions celebrate National Tourism Day from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday, May 11 at the St. Landry Parish Visitor Information Center, I-49 exit 23, just north of Opelousas. Participants will have displays with materials focusing on their attractions. (337) 948-8004.
- Jamie Bergeron and the Kickin’ Cajuns entertain for the free Music & Market series at 6 p.m. Friday, May 11 at the St. Landry Parish Courthouse Square in downtown Opelousas. Okra, the featured vegetable, will be available for sale and samples. (337) 948-6263.
- Learn about fishing, archery, boating, target and trap shooting, nature photography, bird watching, ATV safety and more outdoor activities at the 8th Annual Step Outside Day 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturday, May 12 at the Sherburne Wildlife Management Complex, three miles south of Krotz Springs on La. 975. The U. S. Army Corps of Engineers, La. Dept. of Wildlife and Fisheries and U. S. Fish and Wildlife Service are sponsors of the event. (337) 585-0853.
- Cajun music legends Paul Daigle and Cajun Gold play the Rendezvous des Cajuns radio and TV show at 6 p.m. Saturday, May 12 the Liberty Theater in downtown Eunice. Corey Ledet and his Zydeco Band open the show. (337) 457-7389, www.eunice-la.com.
- Cajun musician Jason Frey and Lagniappe perform at the Old-Fashioned Fais-do-do Barn Dance at 8 p.m. Saturday, May 12 at Lakeview Park & Beach, 1717 Veteran Memorial Highway, in Eunice. (337) 457-2881, www.lvpark.com.
- Crafts, baked goods, handmade quilts, jewelry and more will be available during Market Monday May 14 at Le Village, 121 Seale Lane, in Eunice. (337) 457-3573, www.levillagehouse.com.
- A free screening of T-Galop: A Louisiana Horse Story is set for 7 p.m. Tuesday, May 15 as Casa Azul, 232 ML King Dr., in Grand Coteau. Written and directed by Conni Castille, T-Galop chronicles south Louisiana’s 250-year horse history, which includes Creole cowboys, Cajun jockeys, Mardi Gras revelers and more. Writer Ben Sandmel signs copies of his new book, Ernie K-Doe: The R&B Emperor of New Orleans, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Thursday, May 17 at Casa Azul. (337) 662-1032.